Today’s guest is Lynn Lyons, LICSW who is a licensed clinical social worker and psychotherapist who lives in Concord, New Hampshire and is in private practice there.
In today’s episode, Lynn talks about how she became involved with this work, why your daughter shouldn’t avoid disappointment and hardship and ways to improve anxiety issues within a family. She gives tips on ways parents and teen can challenge anxiety.
For 27 years, Lynn has specialized in the treatment of anxiety disorders in adults and children. She is an international speaker and trainer on the subject of anxiety, its role in families, and the need for a preventative approach at home and in schools.
With a special interest in breaking the generational cycle of worry in families, she is the co-author of two books on anxiety, Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: 7 Ways to Stop the Worry Cycle and Raise Courageous & Independent Children, and the companion book for kids, Playing with Anxiety: Casey’s Guide for Teens and Kids. Her latest book, Using Hypnosis with Children: Creating and Delivering Effective Interventions is a how-to guide for helping professionals looking to incorporate hypnotic strategies for the treatment of depression, anxiety, medical procedures, pain, and sleep.
In this episode you will learn:
- How Lynn became involved with this work
- The three X’s
- Cognitive Distortions
How can parents help?
- The subtle changes parents can look out for with anxiety
- Learning to embrace the uncertainty and discomfort
- Why your daughter shouldn’t avoid disappointment and hardship
- How our modern culture affects both parents and daughters
- The way perfectionism leads to non-participation
- How parents inadvertently increase anxiety within their families or daughters
- Why saying “just do you best” can be harmful to your daughter
- Ways in which for parents to get more awareness of what they’re saying
- Stepping out of perfectionism and learning that it’s ok to fail so we can get better
- Learning to react better to feelings of failure and disappointment
If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a review on iTunes or Stitcher and for more information, head to – http://nicolecburgess.com/launchingyourdaughter